“Computer Vision Syndrome OR (CSV) is eye-related issues or problems which occur due to excess or long term use of computer, laptops, i-pads, and tablets etc.”
Most of the people face eyes problem and vision discomfort when they use digital screens for a long period.
When we use computers, play video games, and watch TV for a long period, we feel that our vision get a bit blurry. This is all due to computer vision syndrome. This disease is temporary because there is no proof or evidence. This disease is recoverable if the issues get solved on time but if it is not resolved on time it becomes severe and takes time for recovery.
Computer vision syndrome can cause many symptoms which includes:
- Blurred vision
- Double vision
- Redness in the eyes
- Tearing of the eyes
- Dryness of the eyes
- Itching of the eyes
- Eye discomfort
- Pain at the region of neck and shoulders
Some of these symptoms are temporary and end when we lessen the use of computers and digital screens. But some of these symptoms remain for a long time. This includes neck and shoulder pain. And sometimes these symptoms get severe when we don’t resolve the problem on time.
There are many reasons behind the point that reading text or writing on a computer or a digital screen is harder than reading text on a printed book.
That’s why use of computers and digital screens can cause problems of eyes and vision but the use of book can’t.
There are many factors that cause problems of eyes and vision due to use of computers and digital screens. These include:
- Brightness of screen, also screen glare
- Bad or poor lightening at work place
- Pre-existing dry eyes problem
- Incorrect posture while using the computer
- Sitting at a wrong angle from the computer
- Viewing the computer from a wrong angle and position
- Overuse of computer and digital screens
- A less distance from the computer or digital screen
- Already have vision problem
- Don’t break while working on the computer
When we read a printed book, we blink our eyes more. But when we read a text on computer and digital screens, we blink our eyes less. This cause dryness of the eyes and cause problems of vision and eyes.
Risks due to computer vision Syndrome:
Computer vision syndrome causes eyes and vision problems. This syndrome causes dryness of eyes, itching and redness of the eyes. This disease also causes double vision and blurred vision. Over use of computer and digital screens can also cause eye fatigue, headache, and eye strain.
But most of the studies show that these problems are not permanent and recovered when we lessen and end the use of computers and digital screens. But many studies show that these problems can become permanent if they would not resolved on time. So, to avoid this situation, a person should have to consult his doctor on time.
- Create a better work environment
- Give rest to your eyes for at least 15 minutes after each 2 hours computer use
- In every 20 minutes, during computer use, look at a distance place for at least 20 or 30 seconds
- Make the text of your computer enlarger to overcome the eye strain caused due to more focus
- Minimize the computer brightness to avoud itching of eyes
- Use filter for glare of computer
- Adjust the monitor
- For documents, use a document holder
- Place the chair at right angle from the computer and at a normal distance.
- Blink the eyes normally to refresh the eyes
- Maintain a normal posture
- Take breaks during use of computer and digital screens
These changes cause end of computer vision syndrome in many people.
But if a person has an underlying eye disorder, the person has to consult his doctor for proper treatment. May be the consult advised him to wear a pair of glasses. If the person has an underlying eye dryness issue, the consultant may advised him to:
- Use lubricating drops for eyes to overcome the issue of the dryness of the eyes
- Creating a more humid work environment
- Drinking of more fluids for hydrating your body and eyes
- Use of medicines to decrease dryness of eyes
- Use of contact lenses to avoid the screen glare
- Take proper precautions recommended by doctor
How we can save yourself from Computer vision Syndrome:
We can save ourself from this computer vision syndrome by taking following precautions and measurements. These include:
- Getting a comprehensive eye exam and during this exam, tell your doctor about that how long you used a computer and digital screen.
- Use of proper light during working on computer. Proper or normal brightness of computer during working.
- Minimize the glare by the use of anti-reflecting glasses or contact lenses.
- Upgrade the display of the computer.
- Also by adjusting the computer display settings by making the font enlarger, and normalizing the screen brightness.
- We must have to sit at a normal distance from the computer to avoid eye problems.
- Maintain a good posture during working on computer and digital screens. Because poor posture is one of the main reason of the computer vision syndrome.
Computer vision Syndrome is higher in females than males. Pre-existing eye disorders results in the severity of computer vision syndrome. Computer vision syndrome is higher in people that use or work on computer and digital screens for a long duration. The people that work on computer and digital screens for a few hours are not at risk of computer vision syndrome. Also the people that use filters and contact lenses to minimize the glaze are at lower risk of computer vision syndrome. Maintenance of proper posture while working on computer lowered the chances of computer vision syndrome. So, we all should have to maintain proper posture during working on computers and digital screens to avoid computer vision syndrome. We all should have to taken the precautions that are necessary to avoid computer vision Syndrome.